Program Goals and Objectives:
To increase self-sufficiency;
To reduce poverty among Tribal members and their families,
To honor our Tribal Elders and Tribal Members, and
To continue to provide quality services and expand programs to meet essential needs of the KBIC members.
Funding assistance is lacking to meet essential needs of the tribal community.
CAP provides assistance not provided by federal, state, local or other tribal sources. CAP works to promote the self-sufficiency of Tribal community members by ensuring the quality of life, general health, and welfare.
The Community Assistance Program administers the following listed programs:
BIA GENERAL ASSISTANCE (GA): Provides public assistance for basic essential needs.
BIA Emergency Assistance (EA): For situations where a home or personal possessions are destroyed or damaged through forces beyond control.
Burial Assistance (BA): For indigent burials.
ELDER DISABLITY PENSION TRUST AND HEATING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: Marquette Trust Properties and Baraga County To Residents Only
HEATING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: Ontonagon County To Residents Only
COMMUNITY SERVICE BLOCK GRANT (CSGB) - Funds address the needs of low income families, homeless, and elderly.
- Emergency crisis assistance to prevent homelessness, evictions, prevent or restore disconnected utility services, and other emergency service needs.
- To assist in achieving self sufficiency, job retention, education services to achieve employment.
COMMUNITY NEEDS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (CNAP): Marquette Trust Properties and Baraga County To Residents Only
1. Non-Medical Assistance: To replace or repair appliances or equipment; Utility and heating disconnects; Vehicle repairs or tire replacements.
2. Medical Travel/Services: For medical travel, specialists, overnight hospitalizations, medical/surgical procedures, out the area travel to visit hospitalized family members, to attend treatment or sobriety/family therapy sessions and/or to obtain medical alert services.
3. Fire/Flood: For crisis assistance for damage involving a primary residence.
4. Local Funeral Allowance: For out of the area immediate family members to attend local funerals.
5. Out of the Area Funeral Allowance: For immediate family member funerals.
LOW INCOME HEATING ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (LIHEAP): Heating assistance for eligible households who are federally recognized Indians living within the KBIC eight county service area, whose gross annual income falls within the 60% of the state median income guideline.
1. Direct Assistance Program (DAP): Heating Assistance for qualified applicants.
2. Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP): Assist with energy crisis.
Superior Watershed Partnership Michigan Energy Assistance Program (SWP MEAP): The Tribe has a partnership with SWP MEAP to provide intake and referral services to process applications for primary heating and/or non-heating electric assistance. Assistance is available starting October thru September or until funding runs out.