The OCSS extends the full range of available child support services in response to all requests from other Tribal and state IV-D agencies pursuant to 45 CFR 309.120(a).


Pursuant to Title Seven, Chapter 7, Section 7.428 of KBIC Tribal Codes to comply with 45 CFR 309.120(b) we operate under the Full Faith and Credit for Child Support Orders Act (FFCCSOA) 28 U.S.C. 1738 B.


In addition, Title Nine, Chapter 9, Section 9.104 of the KBIC Tribal Codes is our Tribal authority to give full faith and credit to foreign orders of a civil nature.


Child Support / Paternity: The OCSS provides paternity establishment and child support services to families where the child, mother and/or father are enrolled members of the KBIC or other federally recognized Tribe when at least one of the parties reside on the L'Anse Reservation.

  • Age of Emancipation: age 18; or age 19 years and 6 months if enrolled in and attending high school full time while residing with the Custodial Party; or a person who has become emancipated by order of the Court.
  • Statute of Limitations: None


Income Withholding Order/Notice: The OCSS also processes all income withholding orders for all Tribal employees. When a child support case involves a Non-Custodial Party who works for the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community and the child support order originates in another jurisdiction, the other jurisdiction must request assistance from the OCSS to enforce their order.

The OCSS currently has a manual case management system. However, they accept all inter-governmental IV-D requests for assistance when submitted using the federal Inter-Governmental Transmittal Forms via US Postal Service, fax, or email.


All requests from an initiating jurisdiction for enforcement of foreign child support orders must include:

  • Child Support Enforcement Transmittal #1 - Initial Request
  • Registration Statement
  • General Testimony
  • Certified copies of most recent order
  • Certified copies of debt calculation/statement of arrears
  • Other documents as necessary or required.


All requests for child support establishment or paternity establishment must include:

  • Child Support Enforcement Transmittal #1 - Initial Request
  • Uniform Support Petition
  • Registration Statement
  • General Testimony
  • Affidavit in Support of Establishing Paternity (for paternity cases)
  • Other documents as necessary or required


TANF: If TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) reimbursement is being requested please include all the dates TANF was paid to the Custodial Party for the children in the case.

All requests for locate must include:

  • Locate Data Sheet